Polymer clay can be baked in a conventional oven instead of a kiln. This is because polymer clay hardens at a lower temperature than earthen clays, making it an ideal type of clay for children to work with. You can make a variety of different projects using polymer clay, including colorful and artistic jewelry that can be given as handmade gifts to friends and family members.
Things You Will Need:
– Polymer Clay
– Clay Knife
- 1 Roll 8 oz. of polymer clay into a 1/2-inch-thick snake. Polymer clay comes in many different colors, or you can select white polymer clay that can be painted after it is baked.
- 2 Cut the clay snake into 1/2-inch-long pieces using a clay knife.
- 3 Roll each piece of clay around in your hands to soften it. Mold the clay into the shape you want for each bead.
- 4 Insert a toothpick into the middle of each bead, then pull out the toothpick to create the bead hole.
- 5 Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bake the beads on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Let the beads cool.
- 6 Cut one 18-inch length and one 8-inch length of elastic string.
- 7 Thread beads onto both strings, leaving open space on both ends of each string.
- 8 Tie the ends of the long piece of string together in a knot. This will create the beaded necklace.
- 9 Tie the ends of the short piece of string together in a knot. This will make the beaded bracelet.
Tips & Warnings
- Use acrylic paint to paint or decorate polymer clay beads after they have been baked.